Recycling, Processing & Distribution Campus
112,766 sq. ft.
Balcones Resources Overview
- Balcones Resources is the largest independent recycling company in the Southwest U.S. In April 2011, the City of Austin awarded to Balcones Resources, Inc. (Balcones) a 20-year contract to process 60 percent of the residential curbside recycling material. In addition to this residential stream, Balcones handles a large portion of material from commercial customers throughout the city. The new facility houses state-of-the art recycling machinery and technology and has the capacity to process more than 25 tons of residential and commercial single-stream per hour.
- The new Balcones Resources facility sits on the former Travis County Precinct Maintenance Facility on Johnny Morris Road.
- During construction, existing buildings were remodeled using green building principles. Over 3.9 million lbs. of asphalt, 2.6 million lbs. of brick, 81,900 lbs. of metal, and 24,000 lbs. of wood were all reclaimed or recycled during the project.
- The new facility consists of four (4) buildings: the processing center for single-stream recycling and document destruction operations, a maintenance building, the Operations Office Building and the Balcones Resources Corporate Office Building.
- The processing building is rail served with a loading dock that will accommodate seven rail cars. This feature gives Balcones the ability to ship their unfinished product via rail in lieu of trucking to cut down on costs and their carbon footprint.
- Given the tight timeline of only one year from time of breaking ground to Balcones Resources being contractually obligated to begin processing City materials, KDW designed and built this facility in 364 days, delivering the project on time and on budget.
- KDW designed and built the building to house the automated sorting equipment, while the equipment was being designed and manufactured in Eugene Oregon.
Special Projects include ground-up projects, interior build-outs, renovations, expansions, structural repairs, specialty foundations, site upgrades, and more. No matter the size or complexity of the project, KDW's Special Projects Team brings a level of time/cost efficiency that is unmatched.